Monday, November 14, 2011

Picture Book Month - Day 10 author!

I seem to have fallen behind on my daily posts, so I'll try to catch up!!

Today I'd like to visit another classic picture book author/illustrator - Ezra Jack Keats.  He is credited as the first American picture book author to portray African American characters. He was born as Jacob Ezra Katz, but legally changed his name in 1947 in the face of anti-semitism.  He studied painting, illustrated many magazines, and was asked to illustrate a children's book in 1954.  His very first solo children's book, The Snowy Day, won the Caldecott Medal in 1964.  At the time of his death in 1983, he had illustrated over 85 children's books, and written and illustrated 24 children's classics.  The Ezra Jack Keats Award was established in his honor in 1985 for new writers.  In 2001 the award was expanded for new illustrators. 


This Caldecott winner is a classic from my own childhood that I still use every year for winter story times.  It is amazing to think that no other children's book up until this had depicted a minority child.  As Keats recalls: “Then began an experience that turned my life around," he wrote, "working on a book with a black kid as hero. None of the manuscripts I’d been illustrating featured any black kids—except for token blacks in the background. My book would have him there simply because he should have been there all along. Years before I had cut from a magazine a strip of photos of a little black boy. I often put them on my studio walls before I’d begun to illustrate children’s books. I just loved looking at him. This was the child who would be the hero of my book.”  The book tells of the wonder of a child's adventures on a snowy day - making footprints, snow angels and coming home to a warm bath.



Another of the 7 books featuring Peter from The Snowy Day.  Another universal experience is depicted in the beautiful and simple media of gauche and collage.  Peter wants to learn to whistle for his dog and children will empathize with trying to learn to whistle.


Not all of Ezra Jack Keat's book feature Peter and another of my favorites is Jennie's Hat. A little girl receives a plain hat from her aunt, but with the help of some friends is able to fancy it up a bit.

To find out more about Ezra Jack Keats and his work check out his official website: http://www.ezra-jack-keats.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment