Monday, June 20, 2011

The Parkview First Graders Visit the Library!

Ms. Maxwell's Class with Miss Cathie

This month, I have been happy to host the 1st grade classes  from Parkview School on a trip to visit the library.  In April, I had visited the school library to share a story, give out library cards, and talk about the library.  I am able to visit all the lower elementary schools each year, but this is the first time the groups have been able to visit the library. It's really great for the children to see the connection between their school and the public library. The five 1st grade classes walked over and some even had lunch in the garden. They came for a library tour and a story. It is so exciting to have the library be a destination for the students.

So far, the students have been most excited about getting the "behind the scenes" tour.  They feel very priviledged to be able to see the back of the book drop, the processing room, and the staff kitchen.  Visiting these off limits places serves to make them feel they are really a part of the library. When books actually came down the book drop as they watched from inside there were squeals of excitement! The students loved seeing how new books arrive at the library and what needs to be done before they are put on the shelves. 

Other highlights of the tour are the elevator with "fake books", the rooftop gargoyles, the Ames family portraits, and the 3rd floor which was once the librarian's home.  It is amazing what wonderful questions the children raise: "What is the oldest book in the library?", "How many books are in the library?", "How many people work here?', "What is your favorite book?" 

It amazed me how some children really loved the history part of the tour.  Some knew who Oliver Ames was in the portrait over the stairs and a few knew that the Ameses manufactured shovels.  The children had many questions about the Ames family.  One highlight, for me, was when I brought the classes into the fireplace room, I would ask if they knew who was depicted in the bas relif over the mantle.  The first guess was usually "that guy on the penny" or Abraham Lincoln. Another guess was George Washington, until someone finally guessed, or read, Oliver Ames!  The children of Easton really seem to learn about their town's history at an early age and are surrounded by so much history on a daily basis.  It's really remarkable to see how much they have absorbed.

The children were also quite interested in the library collection and loved looking at books.  They knew the difference between fiction and non-fiction and were eager to talk about books.  We shared several library or book themed stories after the tour: The Library Lion by Michele Knudsen and Tell The Truth, B.B Wolf by Judy Sierra. I also shared Argus by Michele Knudson with one class that just happened to be hatching chicks like the class in the book!

After the visits I received packets of thank-yous from the students which included wonderful drawings of the library and letters expressing how much they enjoyed the visit.  Some comments:

"My favrit part was the behind the seens tour." and "The behind the sees tour was really cool."

"My favorite part was seeing where the librarian used to live."

"I wunder what Oluver Amse looked like and his mater?" and "I reele like the histre of the library."

"I liked the wallpaper in the ellavader, I liked how it looked like books!" and "I liked how you deakaradid the elavatoer."

"The gargoyle was cool."

"I relly want to lern moor."

"Thank you for letting us see things that we do not no about the library."

"Maybe I can come and get a book with my little sister someday." and "I wunder when I will go back?"

"My favorite part was when you read us the book...I also liked seeing ware you eat yore lunch."

"Thank you for the tour and insclusive sneek peek it probably is my favorite this year."

"P.S. A good library means a good town."

"Out of all the libaray's in the wrold I like Ames Free Library the very best."


There were so many thank-yous and so many more questions, such as what my favorite books are,  do we have have books about parrots, how many people work here.  It was so fun for us all to read these wonderful letters and enjoy the great artwork.

Thank-you to Mrs. Silverstein, Ms. Maxwell, Mrs. Duggan, Miss Hill and Ms. Piesco and all their first grade students for allowing us to host you at the Ames Free Library. Thank you to Mr. Getchell for making books, reading and the library such an important part of the Parkview School. I hope more classes will decide to take a field trip to the library next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment