Tuesday, April 19, 2011

So many books, so little time!

  Children sometimes ask me if I've read every book in the library.  I wish I could, but sadly there is just not enough time.  So many wonderful children's books arrive at my desk each week that it is really hard to decide what to read.  I do read the majority of the Picture Books so that I can add them to my story time lists.  I read a lot of fiction, but usually only the first book in a series (except for Harry Potter!) so that I have time to read more books.  I must admit that I usually have to force myself to read non-fiction, but that holds for my own pleasure reading, too.

 I love the 2 book discussion groups that we have going at the library.  It is so nice to get a chance to talk about books with the children they were written for.  The children who have been coming to the book clubs are so insightful and have such an ease in sharing their thoughts. 

The Chapter Book Club for children in grades 1 - 3  gets them started in thinking about character and plot.  In an informal chat we'll talk about the main character and how we felt about him or her, favorite moments in the book,  the ending and how we'd have changed it.  Some favorites of late have been Piper Reed Navy Brat and the Magic Tree House titles.

For the older group, grades 4 - 6, our discussions get deeper into characterization, plot, theme, voice and writing style.  The kids have often blown me away with their insights and we have had long discussions on titles such as Tuck Everlasting and How To Steal a Dog.

I am so lucky to be a children's librarian since  keeping up with children's books is a part of my job.  I have a perfectly good reason for reading  the children's and young adult books that I love.  I love being able to share favorites with the book clubs, as well as those who stop by my desk seeking something good to read.  My favorite part of the job is hearing back from readers about books that they enjoyed and hooking a reluctant reader on a great title.  So, I will continue to do my best and read as many books as I can so that I can share them with my young readers!

1 comment: